The functions of the Ministry of State for the Development of Northern Kenya and Other Arid Lands as contained in The Presidential Circular No. 1/2008 are:
- Infrastructural Development.
- Planning and encouragement of townships along main roads.
- Livestock Development.
- Livestock Industries.
- Water Supply.
- Natural Resources Management.
- Mineral Resources Exploration and Development.
- Tourism Development.
- Human Resources Development.
- Irrigation Development.
- Tapping of Solar and Wind Energy.
(b) Prioritization of programmes and projects for fast tracking by the government.
(c) Arid Lands Resource Management Project.
(d) Improvement of Livestock Marketing Systems.
(e) Implementation of Special Programmes for the Region.